Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paris






After another few days of class, our small group of Duke friends studying in Madrid (me, Elise, Kesh, Robert, and Liz) left on Thursday night for our flight to Paris! I have been fortunate enough to have visited Paris in 2000 with my family. For whatever reason, I had already gained an obsession with the city even at age 11 and had been hyping it up to my friends for the last several months. A few days before departure, I had gotten a bit nervous that as I had seen more European cities since my initial trip, Paris may not live up to my lofty expectations. Whew buddy, was I wrong!

I love Paris. I used to. I thought I would. And I still do.

Arriving at Charles de Gaulle late Thursday night, we found some other NYU students and even some Dukies and we all took the train together to the city. We got off at St. Michel - St. Germain (really close to Notre Dame) and walked to our hostel. The reception was closed, but our key was supposed to be at a nearby hotel, so we walked there (got my first of 7 crepes on the way), only to find that our key did not let us into our room. We tried all sorts of ways of inserting it, but we realized (at about 1:30 am) that we would not be able to get in. The owner did not answer the "emergency phone", so we started hiking around, eventually using a bartender's reference for a nearby cheap hostel for the night. Thank goodness it let us in, but the next morning we returned to the original hostel to find that that door had a problem, but we negotiated a much-discounted price for our stay. It was inconvenient, but worked out very well.

After a nice breakfast (hot chocolate, bread, nutella, cheese) at the hostel, we went to explore. We saw Notre Dame cathedral (started over 900 years ago!), the Georges Pompidou Centre (crazy, but a must see), and Shakespeare and Company (I fell in love with this English bookstore...comfy chairs, cozy store, lots of books). It was overcast, windy, and very cold, so we were glad to also find a great place for lunch. We ate at Le Rollin and I had roasted duck breast and wine. We got back to the fountain at St Michel just in time for our latest free tour (from Sandeman's...like in Munich). It was a very awkward group (some weird questions and just strange group dynamics), but we walked along the Seine River, saw Pont Neuf, the outside of the Louvre, and ended at Place de la Concorde (at the end of the Champs-Elysses). From there, we lucked out on finding that the Louvre was free for the last few hours of the day, so we hustled in, scrounged up a game plan and saw all the famous ones with time to wander a bit. We learned that if you took 30 seconds to look at each work in the Louvre (giant!), you would be there for 64 (or so) days straight! I wish I could be in Paris for that long. After that, we walked to the Eiffel Tower (very cold night), got a crepe there, hung out for a bit, then headed back for bedtime.

Saturday started with another quality breakfast in the hotel (the owner started spreading some rumors about us apparently!...that we were difficult on him...ha!). We took the train to Versailles where we lucked into another free admission (as students). We had a quality Versailles experience, walking through the vast gardens and seeing the entire palace. It is a phenomenal place. There is so much gold that it almost numbs you to the sight of it after a little while! Back in Paris, I finally had one of my life dreams come true (this one since we only got halfway up the Eiffel Tower with my family in 2000)...I got to the top of the Eiffel Tower! My feet and hands were numb up there, but the view at at Paris sunset was well worth it. From there, we headed to dinner (Elise found restaurants on a website I discovered called spottedbylocals.com...magical site), walking through the Trocadero, past the Arc de Triomphe, and down the Champs-Elysses, then through the Place Vendome (full of the Ritz Carlton, Cartier, and several designer shops and 5-star hotels). We ate at Le Tambour, a lively, cozy, warm (in temperature and in charm) restaurant right in the heart of the city. The waiting staff was a cheery group of large, older men and they helped me decide on ordering a fantastic steak covered in a cheese sauce, served with veggies and potatoes and the onion soup that I split with Elise. That with endless bread, water, and a bottle of wine for the table...in all honesty, one of the best meals I have ever had! Still, it must not have been quite enough because right before we got back to the hostel, I got another nutella crepe before bed! When in Paris...

Sunday had a tour of the inside of Notre Dame and St. Chappelle (some of the largest, most remarkable stained glass windows in the world). Then, we made it up to Montmartre (northern Paris, yes, where the Moulin Rouge is) and met up with a Dukie (who was also in New Orleans with me), Andrew Walker. He showed us around his district, including a wall that says "I love you" in every language I've ever/never heard of, Sacre-Coeur (where we also saw a guy doing soccer tricks while CLIMBING UP A LIGHTPOLE!). We saw one of Picasso's studios, places where Renoir sat or lived...very fun and Andrew was a great tour guide. We made it just in time to have a couple of hours at the Musee d'Orsay to walk around and see works by van Gogh and several other famous Impressionist painters. We had a fun dinner at a Japanese restaurant that night and a lively walk back to the hostel, passing through the Bastille area and Place des Vosges. One more crepe and it was time for bed again!

Monday, we saw Napoleon's tomb at Hotel des Invalides, another trip to Shakespeare, an attempt to register for spring classes at an internet cafe, then a fun lunch. Elise and I met up with one of her sister's good friends (Abby) who is studying law in Paris for the semester. We had a fun lunch (got another steak and some good wine!) at Le Vin qui Dances (The Wine that Dances) as the other guys had to begin their trip to the airport. Elise and I had a great opportunity to walk around the Latin Quarter of Paris (called that because of the universities that taught Latin back in the day), sit by the Seine, and yes, eat another nutella crepe (this was the best one). A couple of hours fighting through traffic in our airport shuttle (there was a train strike that day) and we made it to Charles de Gaulle. An hour flight delay, a flight, and a few metro rides later, I was back in my apartment in Madrid.

What a weekend. I absolutely love Paris and can't wait to get back someday (hopefully soon).

Thanks so much for reading this whole thing! Please leave me a comment to let me know what you think about this post or the blog in general!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hi Graham,
I saw a link to your blog on FB so I came to check it out! Looks like you are having an amazing time, I'm jealous! Great pictures and I love your restaurant/food descriptions!

Have fun & be safe :)
Kristi K.

Jideka Nwosu said...

Graham! I love your blog and all of your funny comments...makes me miss your jokes! haha

Also, how many crepes did you eat in France? haha did you count.

Glad to be reading your blog...good to know what you've been up to.

Keep livin' it up Yo! :)

Jideka

Unknown said...

"We tried all sorts of ways of inserting it, but we realized (at about 1:30 am) that we would not be able to get in."

Nice Graham.

As cool as Paris is, I will always have a small hatred for it because I lost my passport there and was stranded an extra day...I don't recommend it.

Glad to hear you're having such a good time. We're looking forward to having you back soon!